Last modified (Feb 2015):
- Department of Information Engineering and Computer
Science, University of Trento,
- Senior/Marie Curie Fellow, Post-doctoral Researcher, 2010.5 -
- Founded eLifeLog.org community. 28 researchers around the world
have contributed their lifelogs, collaborated for lifelog
analysis, and shared the research to build an open platform for
- Designed a mobile phone-based personal lifelogging App (Android)
that collects and sends data to the server (PHP for server and
client REST services) for the automated daily activity
summarization (C++ for computer vision and Java for sensor
fusion) using complex event processing (Esper).
Touch for mobile platform) for event-based lifelog visualization
with a CEP language-based human behavior pattern composer
eLifeLog Platform API.
- VP Technologies, LLC.
- Research Staff Member, 2009-2010.4
- Proposed an OpenCL foreign object specification (OpenCL-FO) for
multimedia abstraction and management.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta,
- Research Assistant, 2002-2009
- Development of the event-based RDAG (Relational Directed Acyclic
Graph) database system to sup- port heterogeneous data streams
for information chronicling purposes.
- Implemented a relational directed acyclic graph (RDAG) server
(SQL+PHP) atop RDBMS extending SQL (named EML) that supports
heterogeneous data streams, unstructured queries with semantic
expansion, unified object namespaces, temporal queries, rank
ordering and fundamental graph operations.
- Developed a street view traffic sign recognition method for US
DOT asset management using a functional neural network and
polygon-based shape decision model that effectively saved 86
percent of the manual image (3.5 TB of 50 million images
covering the Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina states
refreshed every two years) review process to identify and check
the status of traffic signs on the road.
The full list is available at Publication.
Please see Research for details.
Shell, OpenCV, Matlab, LabView.
- Database (2002-present): Hybrid graph database system
implementation, SQL stored procedures and functions programming, SQL
language extension (EML).
- Multimedia processing (1994-present): Real-time video signal
acquisition and analysis, color image segmentation, traffic sign
detection and type classification, stereo vision.
- Enterprise data management and Industrial automation
(1994–2002): Real-time operation data monitoring hardware and
software system, range and size meter using laser and computer
vision, on-line hot slab warp measuring computer vision system.
- MFC & C/C++ programming (1994-present): Personal information
chronicling tools, plant design engineering software, cost
optimization analysis tools.
- Longest: RMSIM (3 years, Budget: $0.5 million, Source line: 0.25
million lines) progrmmed by myself.
- Biggest: FORSIM (2 years, Budget: $0.25 million, Source line:
0.15 million lines) 2.5 Gigabyte with running data in full
- Industrial automation (1994–2002): Rough mill edger roll gap
measurement system, hot strip width control looper system,
moving-slab online size meter, plant data analysis tools, on-line
hot slab warp measuring computer vision system.
- Industrial sensors: Industrial cameras and filters, laser
range finders, optical sensors, loadcell, LVDT.
- Data Acquisition hardware & software system design with
Labview programming: Developed several real-time sensor, PLC
and A/D data acquisition and control system using C and Labview.
- Web programming (2002-present): Multimedia database application
using MySQL, PHP and AJAX on Apache.
- Middle level certification of Korean sign language: I was in the
service program for the deaf at South Korea and met my wife there.
- National study abroad program award, Institute of Information
Technology Advancement, Ministry of Information and
South Korea, 2002.
- Rotary International, Multi-Year Ambassadorial Scholar
- POSCO, Advanced technology contest silver
medal award, South Korea, 1996.
- Pusan national
Summa cum laude award, South Korea, 1994.
- Journal review
- Conferences TPC
- The 2014 IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science and Engineering
Research (CHUSER 2014) .
- The 2013 IEEE Symposium on Business, Engineering and Industrial
Applications (ISBEIA 2013).
- The 2012 IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science and Engineering
Research (CHUSER 2012).
- The 2012 IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications
- The 2012 IEEE Symposium on Business, Engineering and Industrial
Applications (ISBEIA 2012).
- ICDE(International Conference on Data
Engineering) 2006: Assistant for
session, registration and workshops.
- Teaching assistants
- Teaching assistant: Electronic circuit system experiments,
Pohang Univ. of Sci. and Tech., South Korea, 1994.
- Open platform supports for personal life logging: The eLifeLog
architecture, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN,
Italy (November 14th, 2012)
- A survey on big data analytic platform technologies, Knowdive
seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (April 19th, 2012)
- Discussion on personal life logging platform, Computational
Cognitive Lab, FBK, Trento, TN, Italy (May 4th, 2011)
- Experience of personal life logging with the discussion on
promising research topics, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN,
Trento, TN, Italy (March 2nd, 2011)
- Multimedia content analysis and management, Knowdive seminar
series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (May 12th, 2010)
- Reviews on MEMEX Activities, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN,
Italy (May 17th, 2010)
- A categorical event-based information modeling, IBM Research,
Hawthorne, NY, USA (Jan 23rd,2006)
- ‘‘Experiential meeting system,” HP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, USA (July